Surviving Wildfire - Table of Contents
1 - Wildfire: A Growing Problem
- Why the Threat of Wildfire is Growing
- Factors Affecting Fire Behavior
- How Homes Catch Fire
- Faster than a Speeding Wildfire
2 - Assessing Your Risk
- Do You Live in the Wildfire Zone?
- Examining Your Danger Zone
- What's Your Wildfire Risk?
3 - Improving Your Odds
- Before You Buy Property
- Before You Build
- Firewise Building
- Retrofitting Your Home
- Ongoing Maintenance
- Handling the Little Unexpected Emergencies
- Can Responders Find and Reach You?
4 - Defensible Space You Can Live With
- How Much Defensible Space is Enough?
- Firewise Landscaping
5 - A Homeowner's Guide to Insurance
- Are You Underinsured?
- Your Basic Homeowner's Policy
- Determining the Coverage You Need
- Ten Questions to Ask Your Insurance Agent
- Rate Your Carrier
- When Policy Limits Don't Apply
- Tips for Reducing Your Premium
- Rebuild, Build, Buy, Cash Out?
- Renter's Insurance
6 - Preparing Your Family for Disaster
- Document Your Belongings and Structures
- Create a Family Disaster Plan
- Emergency Evacuation Kit
- Your Important Stuff
- Pets, Horses and Other Animals
7 - Ready and Alert During Wildfire Season
- Where Will You Go?
- When to Leave
8 - Stay Alive When Wildfire Threatens
- Don't Gamble with Your Life
- Time to Evacuate
- Driving Through Fire
- Trapped at Home
- If You're Caught in the Open
- Once You Are Out of Danger
9 - During and After Evacuation
- The Waiting Game
- The Moment of Truth
- Sorting, Sifting and Cleaning Up
10 - Recovery: Picking Up Your Pieces
- Where To Start
- Taking Care of Yourself
- Helping Pets
- The Perpetual Shopping List
11 - Moving Forward: Relocate or Rebuild?
- What About Your Land?
12 - Damaged but Not Destroyed
- Insurance Questions
- Inspecting Your Damage & Cleaning Up
- Beware of Traveling Scammers
- Facing the Challenges and Mourning Your Loss
13 - Filing a Claim: Insider Tips and Tactics
- Maximizing Your Insurance
- The Difference between Structure and Personal Property
- Getting Through Your Contents Inventory
- How to Research Replacement Value and Price Your Stuff
- More Tips for Getting It Done
- Settling Your Claim
- Where's Your Money?
- When Things Go Wrong
- Should You Hire a Public Adjustor?
- Insurance Lawyers
14 - Financial and Tax Considerations
- Mortgages, Liens and Notes
- Property Taxes
- Tax Planning and Uninsured Losses
15 - Our Story
- Wildfire Resources for Homeowners
- General Bibliography
About the Author